Can you run Diablo II on a 2018 Linux (Ubuntu) computer? Using the 3dfx glide wrapper to make it look good? And use a mod to give you a bigger stash?
Yes you can, and it’s not so hard.
Here is my guide:
- Get Diablo II patch version 1.13. From the Battlenet-Launcher, only the version 1.14 is available, but 1.14 doesn’t work with the PlugY mod, so you will have to get this older version from somewhere. You can probably find it without much problems as an online download which comes as a “preinstalled” version.
- Install Wine (if you haven’t already) and copy the game dir to
.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Diablo II/or similar.
- Get the 3dfx glide wrapper and copy the files to the game dir.
- Download PlugY and run the installer through wine. In my case, this placed the files into a strange location, so check the included readme for where the files need to go and move them manually if needed.
- Launch the game through PlugY, like this:
(cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Diablo\ II/Mod\ PlugY/ && exec wine PlugY.exe -3dfx)
- For convenience, create
~/bin/diablo2, add the command in 5. , make it executable. From now on, you can launch the game from the terminal with